Sunday, October 7, 2007

Where is the city bike?

Each time I visit a bike-centric European city like Copenhagen, Munich, or Amsterdam I am jealous of the many basic city bikes I see: no frills, meant for everyday transportation (with chain guards, fenders, etc.). Since so many of those cities are flat they have the advantage of being able to ride one-speeders as well.

In the U.S. we are so performance focused that our bikes are made for recreation not transportation -- no chain guards, no fenders, 21-gears. They say "I am an athelete," not "I have to get to the office." Don't get me wrong, I love my road bike which I take for long recreational rides. But it isn't practical for commuting and it is hard to find a bike that is.

We also lack the extensive urban bike lanes that are found in the cities named above. One rides a bike through Boston at one's peril. It's a jungle out there. There isn't much I can do about that in the short-term, but I sure would like to find the right bike with which to enter the jungle.

Have you found a great city bike?

1 comment:

Eric McNulty said...

I found the Manhattan Green and a number of Breezer models that may fit the bill.